- Brocade switches offer a Ports on Demand (POD) model for licensing and port enabling.
- However, when adding POD license, POD-disabled ports are not automatically enabled.
Brocade POD details
This allows for licensing flexibility by only buying licenses for ports used. Additional licensed ports can be added as business requirements increase.
Rules for Configuring, Enabling and Disabling POD ports:
- Ports can be configured, but not enabled, before being licensed.
- The license installation procedure checks the license database.
- License installation is done by the
licenseaddcommand or the Web Tools Switch Admin License Admin Tab.
- Ports must be explicitly enabled after a POD license is installed and disabled after a POD license is removed.
Methods to explicitly enable/disable ports after adding/removing POD license:
portenable/portdisablecommand or Web Tools Switch Admin Port Setting tab
switchenable/switchdisablecommand or Web Tools Switch Admin Switch tab
- Reboot switch.
When the active ports have exhausted the current POD license pool, additional ports will not be assigned a license. In such cases, manually move licenses from unused ports by releasing the POD assignment to a newly used port and reserve it.
Step 1: Releasing a port from a POD set
1. Identify the unused/offline port currently holding the license.
switch:admin> licenseport --show
24 ports are available in this switch
Ports on Demand license is installed
Dynamic POD method is in use
24 port assignments are provisioned for use in this switch:
8 port assignments are provisioned by the base switch allowance
16 port assignments are provisioned by the Ports on Demand license
13 ports are assigned to the base switch allowance or installed licenses:
8 ports are assigned to the Ports on Demand base switch allowance
5 ports are assigned to the Ports on Demand license
ports assigned to the base switch allowance:
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9
ports assigned to the Ports on Demand license:
7*, 8, 10, 11, 13 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Port 7 with * is an offline port holding license
ports that are not assigned:
12, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
0 license reservations are still available for use by unassigned ports
1 license assignment is held by an offline port (indicated by *)
2. Release the license from port 7.
Note: Before you can re-assign a license, disable and ensure the port is offline and release the license.
switch:admin> portdisable <port_number>
switch:admin> licenseport --release <port_number>
switch:admin> licenseport --release <range_of_port_numbers>
Step 2: Reserving a port license
- Reserving a license for a port assigns a POD license to that port whether the port is online or offline.
switch:admin> licenseport --reserve <port_number>
switch:admin> licenseport --reserve <range_of_port_numbers>
- Run the
portShowcommand to ensure the port is licensed.
- Enable the port by running the
Refer to Brocade licensing user guide