Can I expand or increase the capacity of a FlexGroup?
- ONTAP 9
- FlexGroup Volume
- Space Accounting
Yes, You can increase the size of a FlexGroup volume either by adding more capacity to existing constituents or by adding new constituents.
|Note: Before using either method below ensure that aggregates have sufficient space for new or larger constituents|
Adding capacity to existing FlexGroup constituents:
- This increases the overall capacity of all constituents
- Keep in mind that the amount of capacity you add will be divided accross all constituents:
volume modify -vserver vserver_name -volume fg_name -size new_size <----New total capacity
Increasing capacity by adding additional constituents:
|Note: Newly added constituents will be empty which can throw off data ingestion due to unbalanced constituents.|
- Generally only do this in the following situation:
- New nodes have been added to the cluster.
- New aggregates have been created on the existing nodes.
- The existing constituents have reached the maximum FlexVol size for the hardware, and therefore cannot be resized.
- You need to increase the overall performance of the FlexGroup
- It is best practice to configure FlexGroups across each aggregate, with the same multiplier (constituents per aggregate)
- The default value of the -aggr-list-multiplier parameter is 1
volume expand -vserver vserver_name -volume fg_name -aggr-list aggregate1,aggregate2 -aggr-list-multiplier