Skip to main content
NetApp Knowledge Base

Why does Active IQ Unified Manager alerts on 'Out of Memory' condition when the total memory usage is less than 100 percent?

Last Updated:


Applies to

  • OnCommand Unified Manager 7.x ( UM )
  • OnCommand Unified Manager 9.4 ( UM )
  • OnCommand Unified Manager 9.5 ( UM )
  • Active IQ Unified Manager 9.6+ ( AIQUM ) 


Unified Manager (UM) may alert or display a banner message indicating that it is out of memory. This can occur on systems where the total memory usage is less than 100% whether looking within the host or looking within VMware in the case of a virtualized host

A maximum memory value is configured for each of the underlying components of the UM application. Each of the underlying components is coded to receive a pre-defined percentage of the total memory that is reported by the host operating system

Service Name Percentage
OCIE Server Service 37%
OCIE Acquisition Service 18%
MySQL 22%

Note: These percentages are subject to variation between versions of the application
The total value of all of the memory that is assigned to all of these components combined is less than the total memory that is available to the host, this is by design.  
It is possible for each respective component to consume all of the pre-defined memory that is assigned to that particular process, despite the overall system still having available memory

Using the example percentages provided above, the 'OCIE Server Service' will see a performance impact if this service uses up 37% of the host's memory, regardless of whether the other 63% of the host's memory is free or being used
To resolve the performance-related issues, It may be necessary to further increase the memory of the hosting system. Memory added to the system will increase what memory is available to each of the UM components

Note: Memory usage can be impacted by the number of clusters, nodes, volumes, or other objects that are being monitored, the database size, data protection integration, or a number of reports being run can also have performance considerations associated with them

Additional Information

For more information on sizing, review the OnCommand Unified Manager best practice guide


NetApp provides no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy or reliability or serviceability of any information or recommendations provided in this publication or with respect to any results that may be obtained by the use of the information or observance of any recommendations provided herein. The information in this document is distributed AS IS and the use of this information or the implementation of any recommendations or techniques herein is a customer's responsibility and depends on the customer's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the customer's operational environment. This document and the information contained herein may be used solely in connection with the NetApp products discussed in this document.