- ONTAP 9.6 and above
- Amazon Web Services S3 (AWS S3)
ONTAP 9.6 introduced optimized volume move where the data in cloud tier is not moved when volume move is performed, if both source and destination aggregates are attached to the same cloud tier bucket (object store).
However there are few conditions that can make the volume move to be unoptimized, where all the data in cloud tier will be copied to performance tier and then copied back to cloud tier based on the tiering policy.
FabricPool volume move will be unoptimized where;
- The volume was moved with-in the same aggregate to convert from NetApp Volume Encryption to NetApp Aggregate Encryption
- The type of encryption used in source and destination aggregate is different, or a rekey is in progress
- Volume move performed with generate-destination-key option
- Volume was a volume clone or parent of a clone
- For configurations using AWS S3, if the source FabricPool was created on releases earlier than ONTAP 9.5 and the destination FabricPool was created on releases ONTAP 9.5 and above, then the volume move between these FabricPools will be unoptimized.
- The tiering policy was changed during the volume move. Following table shows the outcome of tiering policy changes during volume move: