- ONTAP 9 and later
- ONTAP 8.3
- ONTAP 8.x 7-Mode
- NDMP (Network data management protocol)
- A Network Data Management Protocol (NDMP) session is always created by the Data Management Application (DMA) which is in charge of the Session.
- The Data Management Application (DMA) is the backup application, and is responsible for creating ndmp sessions, and for closing ndmp sessions as soon they are no longer required.
- Data ONTAP never clears NDMP sessions created by the DMA.
- If however the DMA fails to clean up ndmp sessions, the stale NDMP sessions can be cleared to free-up the resources.