E-Series SANtricity Management Software
The Performance Monitor within the SANtricity software allows the user to track a storage array's key performance data and assist in identifying performance bottlenecks on the array.
Initially the Performance Monitor dashboard on the Performance tab, within SANtricity, contains five predefined charts and one undefined portlet. However, this can be customized as a single real-time graph or as a dashboard that can show up to six customizable statistics.
Keep these guidelines in mind when using Performance Monitor:
- Each time the sampling interval elapses, the Performance Monitor queries the storage array again and updates the data. The impact to storage array performance is minimal.
- Performance data is collected and displayed only for an I/O host visible (mapped) volume, a snapshot group repository volume, and a consistency group repository volume. Data for a mirror repository volume is not collected.
- The values reported for a controller or storage array might be greater than the sum of the values reported for all of the volumes. The values reported for a controller or storage array include both host I/Os and I/Os internal to the storage array (metadata reads and writes), whereas the values reported for a volume include only host I/Os.
- The real-time performance monitor graphs plot a single performance metric over time for up to six objects. The x-axis of the graph represents time. The y-axis of the graph represents the metric value. When the metric value exceeds 99,999, it appears in thousands (K), beginning with 100K until the number reaches 9999K, at which time it appears in millions (M). For amounts greater than 9999K but lesser than 100M, the value appears in tenths (for example, 12.3M).
To customize the data displayed by the Performance Monitor, peform the following:
- In the Array Management Window (AMW), select the Performance tab. Do one of the following actions: Double-click the portlet you want to change. Or, click the Maximize icon on the portlet you want to change. (For Portlet 6, select the Create new real-time performance graph link. This option is only available if Portlet 6 is undefined.)
- In the Select metric drop-down list from the View Real-Time Graphical Performance Monitor dialog box, select the performance data that you want to view.
You can select only one metric at a time. If you opened the dialog from an existing graph, the current metric and object are preselected.
- In the Select an object(s) list, select the objects for which you want to view performance data. You can select up to six objects to monitor on one graph. Use Ctrl-Click and Shift-Click to select multiple objects. Each object is plotted on a separate line on the graph.
- To save the changed portlet to the dashboard, click Save to Dashboard, and then click OK. (The Save to Dashboard option is not available if you did not make any changes, if both a metric and an object are not selected, or if the dialog was not invoked from a portlet on the dashboard.) The dashboard on the Performance tab updates with the new portlet.
- To close the dialog, click Cancel.