Skip to main content
NetApp Knowledge Base

Is it required to verify that deduplicated volumes and aggregates contain sufficient free space for ONTAP upgrade

Views:
67
Visibility:
Public
Votes:
0
Category:
ontap-9
Specialty:
CORE
Last Updated:

Applies to

ONTAP 9

Answer

No, it is not required since ONTAP ugrade processes only involve root volume.
Even if deduplicated volumes and aggregates doesn't contain sufficient free space, it will not affect ONTAP update but the efficiency might not work normally.

Additional Information

What you'll need
For a FlexVol volume, you must have verified that enough free space exists for deduplication metadata in volumes and aggregates. The deduplication metadata requires a minimum amount of free space in the aggregate. This amount is equal to 3% of the total amount of physical data for all deduplicated FlexVol volumes or data constituents within the aggregate. Each FlexVol volume or data constituent should have 4% of the total amount of physical data's worth of free space, for a total of 7%.

NetApp provides no representations or warranties regarding the accuracy or reliability or serviceability of any information or recommendations provided in this publication or with respect to any results that may be obtained by the use of the information or observance of any recommendations provided herein. The information in this document is distributed AS IS and the use of this information or the implementation of any recommendations or techniques herein is a customer's responsibility and depends on the customer's ability to evaluate and integrate them into the customer's operational environment. This document and the information contained herein may be used solely in connection with the NetApp products discussed in this document.