Data ONTAP 7-mode
- Do not change the language once it is set.
- If the language must be changed, then do this before any file is created in the volume so that all file names use the same language.
- Changing the language after files are created in the volume can cause some NFS encodings to be invalid.
- The file names are then unreadable and cannot be found, making the files inaccessible.
- The best way to change a volume language is to create a new volume with the desired language set and use external software to copy the data in to the new volume. This will make sure the client creates the encodings as it expects and Data ONTAP will write it in a way to return exactly that to the client.