How to repurpose a Data ONTAP 8.1.x or later 7-Mode node to ONTAP 9
- Last Updated:
- ONTAP 9
- Data ONTAP 8.2 7-Mode
- Data ONTAP 8.1 7-Mode
This article describes the procedure that should be followed to repurpose a Data ONTAP 8.1.x 7-Mode or later storage controller to ONTAP 9.
Re-purposing Data ONTAP 7-Mode HA to clustered Data ONTAP HA can be performed in two ways:
- Switchless cluster
- Joining to the existing cluster with additional networking
- Data ONTAP 7-Mode and clustered Data ONTAP licenses are different. Contact the sales team to obtain new licenses.
- The image of ONTAP 9 cannot be installed on a system that is up and running Data ONTAP 7-Mode OS.
- On-disk data is not preserved during the usage of this procedure. All data will be lost
- This procedure should only be performed by a NetApp employee or a NetApp Partner performing an installation.
- The minimum requirement is an OS version of Data ONTAP 8.1.y 7-Mode. Do not attempt to repurpose the node while running Data ONTAP 8.0.y 7-Mode.
Note: Contact the partner/sales team for more information and access to information in this article.