What are the restrictions with FlexGroup volumes and NAE?
- ONTAP 9
- NetApp ONTAP FlexGroup
- NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE)
- NetApp Aggregate Encryption (NAE)
The following restrictions are for FG create, rekey/conversion, and expand:
- Encrypted volume create operation will be allowed only if all the destination aggrs are of same encryption-type (NAE or non-NAE), Mix is not allowed.
- Plain-text FG volume create is not allowed on NAE-aggrs.
- NVE volume can be created on mix of NAE aggr and non-NAE.
- If “-encrypt true” is specified, then all the constituent volumes will be of type NVE. Destination aggrs can be of mix of NAE aggr and non-NAE.
- “-encrypt false” is not supported.
- If nothing is specified, then it wil create NAE volumes on desitnation NAE aggrs.
- If any of the constituent volume is of NAE type, then inplace rekey/conversion is not allowed. The constituent volumes of NAE type have to be converted to the volume type of NVE rest through vol-move. Only then rekey/conversion is allowed.
- Adding more members to the existing FG(NAE aggr) is allowed only if new dest aggregate is NAE. It will fail if new dest aggr is non-NAE.
FAQ: NetApp Volume Encryption and NetApp Aggregate Encryption