- ONTAP Select
- Data ONTAP
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP
This article will help you find proper documentation and also will cover some known issues with deleting files, directories, audits, snapshots and volumes.
Clustered Data ONTAP 9.x:
Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3.x:
Data ONTAP 8.2.x:
How do I delete:
- NetApp recommends to always delete files using the client OS, in case of any issues please refer to "Known errors" section below
- If unable to delete specific file it may be due to locked file: Locking mechanism
- Qtrees and directories can be deleted from host OS using account with appropriate permissions. For steps needed to delete specific qtree or directory please refer to following KB: How to delete a qtree or directory
- Snapshots can be deleted from command line and GUI. Please use following KB for steps needed: How to delete a snapshot
- CIFS: Cannot delete or rename a file, an empty directory or qtree:
Error renaming file cannot rename [filename]: There has been a sharing violation
Solution: Cannot delete or rename a file, an empty directory or qtree
- CIFS: Files reappear in Windows Explorer after being deleted
Symptom: After file is deleted it reappears in Windows Explorer
Solution: File reappears after deleting it in Windows Explorer
- Snapshots: Unable to delete busy snapshot with status busy, backup or dump
Symptom: Unable to delete snapshot due to being busy with (
busy,backup,dump) status. The output of the
backup status command displays one or more active dump sessions; however, the output of
ndmpd probe contains no ndmp sessions associated with the backup jobs/dump sessions. Contact Tech Support team for the steps to fix the issue.
- CIFS: Unable to delete the CIFS files.
Symptom: Unable to delete the CIFS files. A message similar to this might be seen in the logs: cifs.deleteOnClose.slow:info]: CIFS: Slow delete on close processing: Oldest pending DLC request is 9223535 milliseconds old.
- Snapshots: Unable to delete LUN
Symptom: Error message "unable to delete a snapshot copy"
Solution: Unable to delete Snapshots, it shows "busy, vclone state"
- Snapshots: Unable to delete clone snapshots and the snapshots are filling volume space
Symptom: Snapshot utilization is high and growing in the parent volume
Solution: Unable to delete clone snapshots and the snapshots are filling volume space in clustered Data ONTAP 8.2.1
- Volume: Unable to delete a volume as it is the source endpoint of one or more SnapMirror relationships
Symptom: Unable to delete a volume after running the
snapmirror delete command on the relationship
Solution: Unable to delete a volume as it is the source endpoint of one or more SnapMirror relationships
- NFS locks during network crash or outage for Oracle
Symptom: Oracle database does not respond, appears to be hung, and no error messages generated. Oracle database does not open and error messages are generated.
Solution: How to clear NFS locks during network crash or outage for Oracle datafiles