- Are local users and groups and Workgroup mode supported in ONTAP?
- Workgroup mode is a standard feature in Windows that allows a workstation to operate without an Active Directory Domain, it is the ability to authenticate and serve data without DC interaction. Support for Workgroup mode was missing for older versions of Clustered ONTAP, but it has been added as of ONTAP9 and later. This feature is crucial in situations like:
- When customers do not want a Microsoft domain infrastructure
- When customers are prevented from using a Microsoft domain by regulation policies
- Local users and groups (LUG) is the ability to create user accounts that are local to Vserver.
- Authentication and Authorization could be done using the local users and groups usually in extreme situation like when no Domain Controllers are available.
- Enabling or disabling local users and groups:
Cluster1::> vserver cifs options modify -vserver vserver_name -is-local-users-and-groups-enabled true/false
- Enabling or disabling local user authentication:
Cluster1::> vserver cifs options modify -vserver vserver_name -is-local-auth-enabled true/false
- How to create a new CIFS server configured for Workgroup mode?
Cluster1::> vserver cifs create -vserver vserver_name -cifs-server cifs_server_name -workgroup workgroup_name
- How to move a CIFS server from a domain to a workgroup?
Cluster1::> vserver cifs modify -vserver vserver_name -cifs-server cifs_server_name -status-admin down -workgroup workgroup_name
- How to move a CIFS server from a workgroup to a domain?
Cluster1::> vserver cifs modify -vserver vserver_name -cifs-server cifs_server_name -status-admin down -domain domain_name
Add your text here.