- ONTAP 9
- Cloud Volumes ONTAP
- Data ONTAP 8
- Maximum Directory Size (maxdirsize)
Maxdirsize is a volume level option that limits the maximum size to which a directory file can grow.
- Maxdirsize determines the number of files a directory can hold.
- The default maxdirsize is 320MB
- Most environments do not need to change this setting
The default value of 320MB can be increased as necessary.
- It is recommended not to configure the size larger than necessary, as certain directory operations require the entire directory to be memory resident.
- And once the maxdirsize is increased, it cannot be reduced without recreating the directory.