ONTAP 9.9.1 and earlier
For licensing in 9.10.1 and higher, see: ONTAP 9.10.1 and later Licensing Overview
The following is a list of scenarios where new license keys are commonly required:
- Controller or Motherboard Replacements - With Data ONTAP 8.2 and 8.3, these always require new license keys due to the change in the Controller (System) Serial Number (8.2 and 8.3 license keys are node-locked to the Controller Serial Number).
- If you require new license keys for a HW Replacement scenario, contact CSS.
- Mode Transitions (7-mode to Cluster mode)-These always require a clean install of Data ONTAP, which requires the appropriate version license keys. Work with your Sales representative to request appropriate version keys.
- ONTAP Upgrades - Non-disruptive upgrades DO NOT require new license keys. New license keys are only required if the system has been wiped clean and the new version keys are not available on Support Site.
- If you require new license keys, work with your NetApp Sales or Support representatives to submit a License Modification Request. (reference this KB article)
- ONTAP Reverts/Downgrades - New license keys are required if you purchased Data ONTAP 8.2 or 8.3 but want to revert/downgrade to Data ONTAP 8.1.
Note: Upgrading/Downgrading/Transitioning between ONTAP versions is only allowed if the controller has a valid Software Support contract (such as SSP).
This table identifies Data ONTAP license key formats and the version and mode each belongs to:
|Version and Mode||License Key Format|
|ONTAP 9||28-character, all uppercase alpha (example: ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZABCD)|
|Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2 and 8.3||28-character, all uppercase alpha (example: ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZABCD)|
|Clustered Data ONTAP 8.0/8.1||14-character, all uppercase alpha (example: ABCDEFGHJKLMNP)|
|Data ONTAP 8.2 7-Mode||28-character, all uppercase alpha (example: ABCDEFGHJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZABCD)|
|Data ONTAP 8.0/8.1 7-Mode||7-character, all uppercase alpha (example: ABCDEFG)|
- How to obtain an existing ONTAP license from NetApp
- For additional information regarding Data ONTAP Licensing, see KB: Data ONTAP 8.2 and 8.3 Licensing Overview and References.
- For details about how license keys are sold and handled in Data ONTAP 8.2, see KB: What are the licensing and packaging requirements for Data ONTAP 8.2 and 8.3
- Post Motherboard Replacement Process to update Licensing on a AFF/ FAS system