- ONTAP 9.3 and later
- Storage Efficiency
- SnapMirror type-XDP preserves storage efficiency from the source volume only when all additional compression on the destination volume is disabled.
- If compression is enabled on a SnapMirror destination, the storage efficiency savings from the source are not retained over the network.
- Disabling compression at the SnapMirror destination in ONTAP 9.3 and later allows future SnapMirror transfers to switch to a storage-efficient transfer automatically, but only if the compression types between source and destination are the same (adaptive or secondary).
- If compression types differ (e.g. the source has adaptive compression while the destination has secondary compression), turning off compression on the destination will not allow storage-efficient transfers and the relationship must be re-baselined.
- For more details see SnapMirror storage efficiency configurations and behavior.
- This KB describes steps to avoid a lengthy re-baseline in this scenario.
- These steps require ONTAP 9.3 or later.