- It is not possible to just disable SMB2 and keep SMB3 enabled in ONTAP
- Attempt to disable SMB2 (with SMB1 disabled by default from ONTAP 9.3) on SVM will fail with below error
::> cifs options modify -vserver svm -smb2-enabled false
Error: command failed: Cannot disable SMB2 protocol on Vserver "svm" because other versions of the SMB protocol are already disabled or being disabled.
- One way to allow only SMB3 client connections is by enabling encryption on the shares.
- Only SMB3 clients support SMB encryption
- SMB clients ( SMB1 , SMB2 ) that do not support encryption cannot connect to a SMB server or share that requires encryption.