VMware vSphere 6.7U3
NetApp ONTAP stores volume snapshots in a .snapshot directory within the volume.
- This .snapshot directory, if made visible from ONTAP, can be browsed via the storage view in the vSphere WebClient or UI client
- Customers can browse the .snapshot directory to restore files that they need from a NetApp volume snapshot
There is an issue seen in vSphere 6.7U3 when CBT (Changed Block Tracking) is enabled. The symptoms of this issue are:
- Customers cannot copy vmdk / -flat.vmdk files from the .snapshot directory via the vSphere UI or by cloning using vmkfstools -i
- When attempting to clone or copy a vmdk / -flat.vmdk file from the .snapshot directory, the following error is encountered:
DISKLIB-LIB_CLONE : Failed to clone : Invalid change tracker error code (5948)
2019-10-11T16:44:55.855Z info hostd [Originator@6876 sub=DiskLib opID=esxui-abcd-1234 user=root] DISKLIB-CTK : Could not open change tracking
/.snapshot/daily.2019-10-11_0010/VM/VM-ctk.vmdk": Change tracking invalid or disk in use.
- When CBT is disabled, and there is no -ctk.vmdk file, the copy operation is successful.