AutoSupport data warehouse.
The following elements of PII within AutoSupport telemetry are processed:
- Username – encrypted or masked
- Email address – always masked
- Personal IP address – encrypted or masked
- Personal MAC address – encrypted
- Physical address – always masked
The result is that within AutoSupport the data warehouse, where an item of PII has been identified, it is obfuscated with one of the following patterns:
- pii_encrypt/<encrypted version of the string>/pii_encrypt
There are a very small number of use cases within NetApp that require viewing this information in plaintext.
- Where an element of PII is required for one of those cases, it is encrypted (pii_encrypt).
- Otherwise, it is masked, irreversibly (pii_mask).
- This approach allows NetApp to validate and track all requests to access this information, ensuring that its distribution is controlled and destroyed after use.
The only use case that has been identified so far for this information in plaintext is forensic data breach analysis.
- Customer requests for assistance in those cases can be made through the non-technical support process.