- Brocade Fibre Channel switches
This article covers the procedure of upgrading/downgrading firmware on a Brocade switch.
|This procedure does not apply to fabric-attached MetroCluster.|
- This procedure requires an FTP service running on a Windows or UNIX workstation. Microsoft IIS is tested and supported by Brocade.
- For older versions of Fabric OS, a stepped upgrade may be required. See the Brocade Fabric OS Target Path Selection Guide. The guide is available from the Brocade Assist site by clicking the Download link and searching for "Target Path Selection Guide".
v7.4.x —> v8.0.x —> v8.1.x
- Obtain the firmware version; see How to obtain Brocade Fabric OS from NetApp
- Ensure the configuration of the switch is backed up prior to the upgrade via the
- Upgrade the switch
- Verify that the workstation can ping the Brocade switch
- Locate the extracted firmware directory structure in
- Run the
firmwaredownloadcommand on the brocade switch. Firmware update can be done through the CLI or the web interface
- Provide the workstation IP address
- Login as anonymous or a valid FTP user
- Provide the path to the firmware directory relative to the
For v8.4.0, the path is as follows:
release.plist file is not listed in the root of the firmware directory (
/fw/v8.4.0), but the firmware will use the appropriate
release.plist file in the child directory, based on its switch type.
- Switch will update the secondary firmware, reboot, update the primary, then reboot for the final time.
- Once completed, confirm by typing