- All versions of Clustered ONTAP prior to 9.5P4
- All SAN hosts
Data OnTap provides three ALUA states for filer paths:
- Active/optimized (to the node that owns the lun)
- Active/non-optimized (to any node that does not own the lun)
The transitioning state should only be seen briefly during a takeover or giveback as the path transitions from one active state to another.
In some situations the paths become stuck in "transitioning" and the host is unable to use them.
- Windows may report the path state as "transitioning" in DSM.
- ESX will report IO errors and
sense data returned as 0x2 0x4 0xa.
- Aix throws the below errors
May 30 00:39:07 hdisk1 P SC_DISK_ERR2 path 0 TEST UNIT READY CHECK NOT READY; LOGICAL UNIT NOT ACCESSIBLE, ASYMMETRIC ACCESS STATE TRANSITION May 30 00:38:53 hdisk0 P SC_DISK_ERR2 path 10 TEST UNIT READY CHECK NOT READY; LOGICAL UNIT NOT ACCESSIBLE, ASYMMETRIC ACCESS STATE TRANSITION