- ONTAP 9
- Clustered Data ONTAP 8
- Data ONTAP 8 7-Mode
- Data ONTAP 7 and earlier
To determine if CPU utilization is a concern, see KB: How do I know if CPU is causing a performance issue?
- Each storage controller contains one or more multi-core CPUs.
- These physical CPU cores are the primary compute resource available to Data ONTAP for processing work.
- In addition to CPU cores, Data ONTAP interacts with other physical hardware such as Ethernet ports, FC ports, disks, and NVRAM.
- The use of all these physical resources occurs in a highly optimized and parallel manner, taking into account active requests, resource availability, and the overall activity level of the system.
- As the interaction between physical resources can be complex and inter-dependent, a measure of CPU being busy (CPU utilization) does not increase linearly with an increase in incoming requests from clients, nor can it be used alone as a measure of the overall system utilization.
- CPU resources have several unique characteristics thatare useful while analyzing the system
For more detailed information on CPU utilization, see KBs below: