What data is encrypted with NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE) and NetApp Aggregate Encryption (NAE)?
- ONTAP 9
- NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE)
- NetApp Aggregate Encryption (NAE)
NVE and NAE
- For both NVE and NAE, anything that is part of the data volume is encrypted, including NetApp Snapshot™ copies and clones.
- NetApp FlexClone® volumes are encrypted with the same key as the original volume.
- For NVE, data volumes, specifically NetApp FlexVol® volumes, metadata volumes (MDV) for MetroCluster, and existing controller root volumes (vol0) can be encrypted.
- Storage virtual machine (SVM) root volumes are not encrypted with NVE.
- For NAE, data volumes, storage virtual machine (SVM) root volumes, and Metadata Volume (MDV) for MetroCluster are encrypted. Controller root volumes (vol0) are not encrypted with NAE.
FAQ: NetApp Volume Encryption and NetApp Aggregate Encryption