- Data ONTAP 7-Mode
- Clustered Data ONTAP
- Citrix XenServer
These are the top known issues, workarounds, and best practices for Citrix XenServer when used with NetApp FAS controllers running Data ONTAP 7-Mode or clustered Data ONTAP.
Known Issues and Workarounds:
Citrix XenServer 6.1
- Supported Hotfix: XS61E001 XS61E003 XS61E004 XS61E006 XS61E007 XS61E008 XS61E009 XS61E010 XS61E012 XS61E013 XS61E014 XS61E015 XS61E030
- Supported Kernel Version: 18.104.22.168-0.4.1.xs22.214.171.1244.170772xen
Citrix XenServer 6.2
- Supported Hotfix: XS62ESP1 XS62ESP1002 XS62ESP1004 XS62ESP1006 XS62ESP1007 XS62ESP1008 XS62ESP1011 XS62ESP1013 XS62ESP1015 XS62ESP1016 XS62ESP1021 XS62ESP1022 XS62ESP1023 XS62ESP1025 XS62ESP1026
- Supported Kernel Version: 126.96.36.199-0.4.1.xs188.8.131.527.170785xen
Citrix XenServer 6.5
- Supported Kernel Version: 3.10.0+2
- During NetApp Storage Controller Failover Operations, there is a rare risk that hosts running Citrix XenServer 6.1 might encounter network outages or the Guest OS becoming read-only. For XS6.2, hotfix XS62ESP1026 fixes the problem. Above listed supported hotfixes are mandatory. It is recommended to upgrade to XenServer 6.5, where this issue is not seen.
- SnapDrive (any version) is not supported with Citrix XenServer.
- See TR-4067 for 'Clustered Data ONTAP NFS Best Practice and Implementation Guide'
- Guest OS Support Recommendations:
- XenServer tools must be installed on each Virtual Machine (VM). Running a VM without installing the XenServer Tools is not a supported configuration.
- Linux VMs: All the supported Linux distributions should be deployed as paravirtualized. They utilize highly modified kernels and drivers that are fully optimized to achieve optimal performance within a virtualized environment. To be specific, supported OL5 and RHEL5 guest OS should be booted into Xen kernel. Boot OL6 and RHEL6 to RHCK (contains all required xen/paravirtualised drivers). Booting to UEK is not supported yet.
- Windows VMs: All the supported Windows VMs should be deployed as 'Fully Virtualized with PV drivers' installed. PV drivers are part of XenServer tools.