- ONTAP 9
- NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE)
- NetApp Aggregate Encryption (NAE)
NetApp Volume Encryption (NVE)
- Per Volume, Software-based, data-at-rest encryption solution
- Available starting with NetApp ONTAP 9.1
- Allows ONTAP to encrypt data and to have that data stored on disk without requiring self-encrypting drives.
- Allows customers to use storage efficiency features that would be lost if the customer decided to encrypt at the application layer.
- Customers can use any existing disk with NVE, which also includes NetApp Storage Encryption (NSE) drives for double or layered encryption.
NetApp Aggregate Encryption (NAE)
- An enhancement of the software-based NVE data-at-rest solution.
- Available starting with ONTAP 9.6.
- NAE enables use of aggregate deduplication for greater storage efficiency.
- Allows ONTAP to encrypt data for each volume with the keys shared for the aggregate.
Note: NVE and NAE are the only options available for encrypting data in NetApp MetroCluster software and ONTAP Select.