- ONTAP 9
- Data ONTAP 8 7-mode
Note: There are more complex scenarios like multiprotocol access (CIFS and NFS) which are not covered here.
- Locks set by Network File System (NFS) clients are not enforced
- A client may gain access to a locked file, or to part of a locked file, depending on whether the client checks for and observes the lock
- This only applies to NFSv3 using NLM, but NFSv4 has a mandatory locking infrastructure
- Locks set by Common Internet File System protocol (CIFS) clients are enforced
- The locks affect clients, whether or not the clients check for the locks.
- If a lock exists, the client is denied the type of access according to the lock.
- If running the
dumpcommand on Data ONTAP 8 7-mode, it will ignore the file lock to finish the dump or NDMP backup.