Data ONTAP 8.X CIFS
- After upgrading the user domain to Windows 2012 and installing new certificates, clustered Data ONTAP SVMs are unable to join the AD domain using LDAPS.
- Similar error messages appear as a result of creating the CIFS server over the SVM:
[ 107] Unable to start TLS: Connect error
[ 107] Additional info: TLS: unable to get CN from peer certificate
**[ 109] FAILURE: Failed to find a domain controller Error: command failed: Failed to create the Active Directory machine account "XXXXXX".
Reason: LDAP Error: Cannot establish a connection to the server.
- Collecting packet traces shows that the certificate negotiated from the server (the Windows 2012) has an empty subject field while the CN information is stored in the SubjectAlternateName (SAN) field.
Use the example trace below to help determine if you are experiencing this issue.
Select the Server Hello packet and look for the following clues:
- In the
Certificate () field, note that there is nothing between the parenthesis. This is because Wireshark cannot find anything within the Subject field
- The Subject field has 0 items listed
- The name of the LDAP server shows up under the extensions fields, specifically the subjectAltName field