- ONTAP 9
Yes, beginning in ONTAP 9.7, NDMP can be used with FabricPool
- As with snapmirror, time to complete a full backup of a volume which has much of its data tiered out will take longer.
- The amount of time will depend on
- the amount of data that has been tiered,
- the interconnect between Ontap and the object store,
- as well as the sizing/performance of the object store itself.
- RPO calculations should factor this when planning NDMP for FabricPool
- When restoring data into a FabricPool
- all data will be placed in the performance tier.
- Ensure the performance tier has enough space before attempting a restore.
- Customers who use third party backup tools or applications should configure them to use NDMP as the protocol and not CIFS or NFS.
- If backups are done via a NAS protocol, those reads will look like client reads to ONTAP and will make all the data hot again.
- If such backups happen often enough, the data will never become cool enough to tier.
- NDMP reads on the other hand are recognized as such and do not make data hot.