- Data ONTAP 8.1 7-Mode
- Data ONTAP 8 or later Clustered Mode
- ONTAP 9
- Starting with Data ONTAP 8, a new time server supporting the Network Time Protocol (RFC 1305) has been introduced.
- Previous Data ONTAP releases supported the less precise Simple Network Time Protocol (RFC 2030) and TIME protocols (RFC 868).
- Due to the changes, it is possible that timeserver peers that synchronized with releases prior to Data ONTAP 8 will not be able to synchronize with releases beginning with Data ONTAP 8.
- The most common reason is likely to be that the timeserver peer does not support NTP (but did support SNTP) or that the precision of the timeserver peer is not high enough.
- This article describes how to identify and troubleshoot such issues.