- ONTAP 9
- Clustered Data ONTAP 8.3
- Clustered Data ONTAP 8.2
- Clustered Data ONTAP 8
- In clustered Data ONTAP, while adding a shelf from a different cluster (or a 7-Mode system) to a node, aggregates on that shelf may be flagged as foreign and the drives belonging to that aggregate as orphan disks.
- This issue can also be encountered after replacing a failed disk which was never Zeroed
For example, an aggregate can show up as follows under the
aggr status command:
- This is caused due to the disks not being zeroed (and containing the label) and therefore retaining the aggregate information from the earlier system.
- These 'foreign' aggregates are visible only when using the node shell.
- Accessing the foreign volumes inside these aggregates on the clustered Data ONTAP system to which the shelves have been migrated is not supported.
- However, it *is* supported to remove the foreign aggregates, turning the relevant drives into unZeroed spares.