- SAN (Storage Area Network)
- VAAI (vStorage API for Array Integration)
- LUN (logical unit number)
- VMFS (virtual machine file system)
- RDM (raw device mapping)
If one of the following conditions is met hardware acceleration is not possible and methods native to the host will be used instead:
- A virtual machine is copied or cloned between different datastores
- The source and destination VMFS datastores have different block sizes.
- The source file type is RDM and the destination file type is non-RDM (regular file).0
- The source VMDK type is eagerzeroedthick and the destination VMDK type is thin.
- The source or destination VMDK is in sparse or hosted format.
- The source virtual machine has a snapshot.
- The logical address and transfer length in the requested operation are not aligned to the minimum alignment required by the storage device. All datastores created with the vSphere Client are aligned automatically.
- The VMFS has multiple LUNs or extents, and they are on different arrays.
Please visit VMware docs for more information: Hardware Acceleration Considerations