- Data ONTAP 7 and earlier
- Data ONTAP 8 7-Mode
- DSM for Windows MPIO
This document discusses how to view the MPIO configuration and status with both forms of the DSM.
- SANs often provide multiple paths to allow hosts to access LUNs.
- To maximize the redundancy of the SAN, the host operating system must use multipathing I/O (MPIO) software.
- MPIO software monitors all the available paths and will decide which path should be used for the operating system.
- The Microsoft MPIO system is automatically configured using DSM.
- It uses in-band communication with the storage cluster to determine the primary and secondary paths.
Syslog and EMS messages
[hostname: scsitarget.partnerPath.misconfigured:error]: FCP Partner Path Misconfigured.
[hostname: scsitarget.partnerPath.misconfigured:error]: FCP Partner Path Misconfigured - Host I/O access through a non-primary and non-optimal path was detected.
For a complete discussion of this error message, see the article What do FCP Partner Path Misconfigured messages mean?
- Partner path: Any path to LUNs that utilizes the partner node to access a LUN hosted by the local node. The LUNs are in an active-active cluster.
- Non-primary path: Synonymous with partner path, proxy path and secondary path. All are examples of a non-primary path.
- FCP target port: The fibre channel interface that provides FCP service to hosts.
- Virtual Target Interconnect (VTIC): The virtual FCP target interface seen in the initiator group list. VTIC is used to indicate that the initiator has access to a secondary path.