|Note - OnTap DSM has reached End of Version Support as of Dec 2019 and is no longer supported by NetApp. NetApp recommends using native DSM/MPIO. See CPC-00184 for more information.|
- Data ONTAP DSM for Windows MPIO
There have been several cases reported for issues with installing the required hotfixes for Data ONTAP DSM and the Windows Host Utilities. The known issues are listed below:
- Hotfixes Install Fails - not applicable to this platform:
When installing on Windows Server 2016 the installer does not find update/hotfix XXXXXXXXX. If installing the update manually, an error is received stating "This update is not applicable to your computer".
In Windows Server 2016, MPIO is not enabled by default. Enable MPIO on the server from the Add Features menu and DSM should install with no issues.
The installation of hotfix KB979743 provides an updated
MPIO.sys driver for Windows 2008 SP2 and 2008 R2. This hotfix might not install or might not be detected by the Data ONTAP DSM installer due to the MPIO Feature of Windows 2008 not being enabled.
Install the correct hotfix for the host platform, x86 versus x86-64 (AMD64) as well as the proper operating system. Often, Microsoft lists the hotfixes for download as their client OS versions and not as their server OS version. The equivalent server OS releases are:
- Windows Vista = Windows 2008 SP2
- Windows 7 = Windows 2008 R2
- Windows 10 = Windows 2012
For instance, if it is required to download the hotfix for Windows 2008 SP2, the correct file would be the one labeled as 'VISTA download'.
Perform the following steps to resolve the issue:
- Enable the MPIO feature in Windows 2008 (Administrative Tools > Features > MPIO) and reboot.
- Install hotfixes in numerical order starting from the lowest number.
- Install Data ONTAP DSM and reboot.
- Hotfix installation order:
Another issue that occurs from time to time is hotfix updates to the same driver. Hotfixes KB970525 and KB979743 provide a new
MPIO.sys driver. To satisfy installation requirements, hotfix KB970525 must be installed before KB979743.
The rule of thumb when installing hotfixes is to apply them in numerical order from lowest to highest. If the hotfixes are installed in the wrong order, the solution is to uninstall the newer hotfix, install the older one and then reinstall the newer hotfix.
- Windows Host Utilities and Data ONTAP DSM hotfix requirement interactions:
- Hotfix KB970525 is required by Windows Host Utilities 5.3 and provides an update to
- Hotfix KB979743 is required by Data ONTAP DSM 3.4 and provides an even newer version of
To satisfy the requirements of both the installers, perform the following steps:
- Enable the MPIO feature.
Note: A reboot might be required after enabling MPIO and before installing the hotfixes.
- Install hotfix KB970525.
- Install hotfix KB979743.
- Install Windows Host Utilities 5.3.
- Install Data ONTAP DSM 3.4.
- Data ONTAP DSM 3.4 does not enforce installation of hotfix KB982109. This hotfix provides a critical update to the Windows 2003 MPIO drivers and must be installed to have a reliable MPIO.
|File name||File version||File size||Date||Time||Platform||SP requirement|
|For all supported x86-based versions of Windows Server 2003|
|For all supported x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003|
|For all supported IA-64-based versions of Windows Server 2003|