Product Model: FAS3210-R5
OS: Data ONTAP 8.2.1 7-Mode
Category 2: SnapMirror
This article applies to any SnapMirror case that reports the following error message:
cannot connect to source storage system
All known causes of this error involve either name resolution or networking misconfiguration, specifically routing, or firewalls.
traceroutecommands to perform a test name resolution with the storage system ping. Even if the path is blocked, the name resolution will work.
- When testing name resolution, ensure the name is entered exactly as in the SnapMirror/SnapVault command.
- Check for the capitalization, spelling, and FQDN.
- Run the
getXXbyYY gethostbyname_r <hostname>command to check the DNS entry.
- To ensure hostname authentication is correct add an entry into
/etc/hostson both sides.
- If the ping resolves as expected but
traceroutedoes not, verify there is a blank line at the end of
- For more information on what ports are required to be open on an external firewall for SnapMirror to operate properly, see: How to configure SnapMirror through a firewall
- You can also go into the 7-mode filer and go to options snapmirror.access and confirm that access is set to all or *
::> options snapmirror.access all