SnapCenter Plug-in for Oracle (SCO)
To provide backups in SCO with a less strict storage usage policy compared to SnapManager (SMO/SMSAP), SnapCenter puts a copy of the binary
control files on a datafile filesystem for the time of the snapshot, and a backup-to-trace ascii copy in a way that depends on whether or not ASM is used:
- If NFS or a filesystem LUN formatted with standard Linux filesystem is used, SCO puts the backup-to-trace file with the datafiles
- If ASM on either NFS or raw LUNs is used, SCO stores the backup-to-trace content in SnapCenter's NSM repository since a text file on ASM is not possible.
- With Oracle RAC on ASM, it's recommended to backup your NSM database regularly (see Administration Guide on how to do this), since a manual clone or restore under these circumstances is problematic.
- Snapshot are always created for the database files and archive logs, which are required to be on NetApp storage
- Snapshot of the redo logs are only created when using DataGuard.