- ONTAP 9
- NDMP backup
- backup log
- During review of a NDMP backup log, a message estimating the storage requirements for restore is found
- The message mentions space requirements, inode requirements, and to ensure there is sufficient space
- Example log message:
To restore this filesystem, a total of nnnnnn KB space and nnnnnn number of free inodes is required.For a data copy operation, ensure that the destination has sufficient space to perform the restore.
- The message is not an error, and can be seen in the backup log for any job reaching this point in the backup process
- The message is not indicating there is insufficient space to perform the current backup
- Note that the message begins with "To restore this filesystem"
- This is an informational message to help provide guidance for future, potential restores
- The purpose of the message is to help ensure a future restore destination has enough space
Ignore this message unless:
- Troubleshooting a restore failure that seems to be space-related
- Examining a past backup log to determine how much space a restore may require